Skip to main content


14:07 11th April 2010

Wolves 0 Stoke City 0

STOKE CITY had to settle for a share of the spoils from Sunday's local derby against Wolverhampton Wanderers despite having the majority of the chances throughout the encounter.

Abdoulaye Faye went close to breaking the deadlock on three separate occasions before Mamady Sidibe squandered the game's best opportunity after firing over with just the keeper to beat in the second half.

The hosts almost snatched all three points late on when Kevin Foley volleyed an audacious effort just wide, but both managers looked satisfied with a point come the final whistle.

Ahead of the game, Tony Pulis made two changes to his starting eleven with the injured Ricardo Fuller being replaced by Sidibe, whilst Dean Whitehead returned to midfield at the expense of Liam Lawrence who had to settle for a spot on the bench.

England World Cup hopeful Ryan Shawcross was also absent after aggravating a knee injury in training which has kept him out of action for the last three weeks.

For the hosts, they had to do without skipper and former City midfielder Karl Henry as he served the first of a three match ban following his dismissal against Arsenal last weekend.

The match kicked off with City looking the more lively of the two sides during the opening exchanges. Former Sunderland man Delap lashed an effort over the bar from 15 yards after good work from Whitehead on the right flank, before Robert Huth headed straight at Marcus Hahnemann after the hosts had failed to clear their lines following Matthew Etherington's inswinging corner.

Skipper Faye then rose unchallenged to meet another Etherington centre, however, he guided the ball inches over the bar from 10-yards. The Senegalese international was once again at the heart of the action minutes later as he beat Jody Craddock to Huth's diagonal but glanced his header on to the roof of the net.

Mick McCarthy's side almost took the lead against the run of play after half an hour as David Edwards stole a march on Danny Collins to flick David Jones corner towards goal, only for Denmark international Thomas Sorensen to comfortably gather.

Normality was restored soon after as the Potters continued to push forward in search of an opening goal but despite the best efforts of Faye for the visitors and Matthew Jarvis for the hosts, the half ended goalless.

The Potters almost took the lead early on in the second period when Whitehead's deep ball found its way through to Sidibe, but with just Hahnemann to beat he blazed the ball high and wide from 8-yards.

Pulis looked to inject fresh life into the Potters midway through the half by replacing Kitson with Turkey captain Tuncay, however, barely a minute later his strike partner Sidibe was forced off after appearing to pull his hamstring. The City boss responded by thrusting Lawrence on following his goalscoring heroics last week.

Edwards twisted and turned inside the 18-yard box and forged an opening for himself, only to fire straight at Sorensen in the 64th minute. Etherington was next to test the Wolves resolve with a delightful ball into the danger zone, only for Craddock to come to his sides rescue with a superb header to deny Sidibe.

Republic of Ireland international Whelan then went agonisingly close from 30-yards on two separate occasions, before Wolves star Foley teed himself up and fired inches wide seven minutes from time.

Right at the death, Sorensen finally scrambled the ball to safety after misjudging Nenad Milijas' late free-kick, which almost crept into the back of the net to ensure the Potters extended their unbeaten league run away from home to seven games.

    Data provided by Press Association


    The Potters played out four replays to finally beat Bury in the FA Cup in 1955