Skip to main content

A Surreal Moment - Begovic

Asmir Begovic is congratulated by Erik Pieters and Ryan Shawcross after goal against Southampton

Image by: Action Images


13:44 3rd November 2013

Goalscoring hero still in shock

ASMIR BEGOVIC admits that his goal just 14 seconds into Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Southampton provided him with the most surreal moment of his playing career to date.

The Bosnian international bizarrely found himself on the score-sheet after seeing his long punt forward leave his Southampton counterpart red faced, after the wind caught hold of his clearance downfield.

Speaking following the game he said that he was still coming to terms with his maiden professional goal, but is pleased that the effort helped the side to record what he feels was a deserved point.

“It was obviously nice, I have never scored a goal before, so I will take it,” he told Stoke City Player following the game.

“It was bizarre, and it was just one of those things that happen in football. Fortunately for us it earned us the point that I think we deserved.

“It was a freak goal though, there is no denying that, and obviously I do feel for the other ‘keeper because it mustn’t be nice.

“It’s never nice to see something like that happen to a fellow professional, but in the end it has helped us take something from the game, so we will take it.”

The former Portsmouth stopper says that his muted celebrations following the goal were both a mark of respect towards Artur Boruc and through pure astoundment.

“It was a little bit surreal to be honest – I really didn’t know what to do with myself,” he laughed.

“The ball got caught up in the wind and carried quite a distance, bounced and before I knew it, it flew into the back of the net.

“It’s never happened before, so it was a real strange feeling. The other lads were celebrating it, but for me it was just good fortune. I was stunned to be honest.”

The 26-year-old also revealed that it was always his side’s plan to switch ends prior to kick-off in a bid to gain some early momentum in the game.

“We won the toss and decided to try and go and get a ourselves on the front foot during the opening 45 minutes, with the strong wind behind us,” he added.

“We thought that we could put some pressure on them because of the conditions, and we did manage to do that.

“Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get a second goal which could have given the game a different outcome, but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.”

    Related Articles