Chelsea Football Club
CHELSEA have played at Stamford Bridge ever since the Club was formed in 1905, although the stadium was originally intended for Fulham but they rejected the chance to play there!
Between it being built in 1877 and new club Chelsea moving in, it was used primarily as an athletics venue.
The current capacity stands at 41,623 and the ground has gone from being a huge oval shape to one with all four sides close to the pitch.
Only the huge old Shed wall remains of the original stadium - which can be seen opposite the Megastore and box office.
As well as all the work on the stadium itself the whole 12.5 acre site has seen the building of two four-star hotels, three restaurants, conference and banqueting facilities, underground car park, health club, a music venue and business centre. It has come a long, long way since the original athletics venue was first opened in 1877.
From it's creation the stadium remained largely unchanged until 1930 when the "Shed End" terraced area was erected. Adorned with a rather unique 'roofed' area (which barely covered 1/5th of the whole terrace) there is debate over how and when it developed the name 'Shed' as it wasn't given a name when it was built!
The Shed was demolished in 1994 following new laws compelling grounds to be all seater and was replaced with the new Shed End seated stand in 1997, following a couple of years of temporary seating behind the goal. At the same time a four star hotel, now called the Millennium Hotel, was also built at the back of the stand.
Away supporters have been seated in the corner since 2005, with 1,500 to 3,000 seats allocated depending on the demand.
1964 saw the vast western terrace replaced by a stand 3/4 seating and 1/4 concrete slabs, affectionately known as the 'Benches'. The West stand existed for 25 years until it was the last of the old stadium to be demolished in 1998. The lower tier of the new West stand was built on schedule but then problems with the local council over planning permission meant a 2 year delay before the rest of the stand could be built. It opened for the first time in 2001.
In 1973 the East Stand was built, a marvel of engineering of the time and still one of the most striking stands in the country there's little doubt it was ahead of its time. The only part of the current stadium that survived the mass rebuilding of the 1990s, it has though undergone extensive refurbishment and refitting.
Redevelopment of the North Stand area came in 1994/95, with the old banked terrace, that in recent times had housed the away fans, being demolished and a new stand beginning to rise. Renamed as the Matthew Harding Stand in memory of the Chelsea director killed in a helicopter accident whose loan and helped with it's building, it has now established itself as the main home for the most vocal and die hard Chelsea fans.
Stamford Bridge also houses a football museum, with memorabilia and artefacts from Chelsea's 107-year history. It is the largest museum of its kind in the capital.
Located behind the Matthew Harding Stand next to the Chelsea Club, it is open on selected matchdays but stadium tours are not available. The last entry on matchdays is one hour before kick off.
For more information please call 0871 984 1955.
On leaving the Britannia Stadium, take the A50 before merging onto the A500 westbound.
After two miles, go over the roundabout and join the M6 southbound.
After 71 miles, merge onto the M1 southbound.
After 75 miles, take the second exit at the roundabout before continuing onto the North Circular Road/A406.
After one mile, exit onto the A4088 towards Neasden.
At the roundabout, take the 4th exit onto Neasden Lane/B453.
Turn left to stay on Neasden Lane, and then at the roundabout take the 2nd exit onto High Road/A407.
Continue onto Craven Park, before turning right onto Manor Park Road.
Turn right onto Scrubs Lane, go through one roundabout and then after just over one mile turn left onto the A40 ramp to Central London/Oxford/Wembley/Ealing.
At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto W Cross Route/A3220 and go through one roundabout.
After two miles, turn left onto Pembroke Road, then after one mile turn onto Fulham Road/A308.
Take the next two right turns, following Fulham Road, and the ground will be on your left.
There is no allocated parking for visiting supporters at the ground, and space is limited in the immediate area due to local residence restrictions.
A number of London Underground stations have Pay & Display car-parks.
159 miles. Journey time – 2 hours, 47 minutes. For the Sat Nav: SW6 1HS
GOING BY TRAIN:
The closest London Underground station to the ground is Fulham Broadway, which is on the District Line. Take a train to Earls Court and change for Wimbledon-bound trains. Boarding ramps
are available at Fulham Broadway. The ground is signposted clearly for pedestrians from the station.
The closest Overground station is West Brompton, which is served by trains from Clapham Junction. Clapham Junction is served by trains from Waterloo and Victoria. Stamford Bridge is around a 15 minute walk from West Brompton station.
Vouchercloud 50/50 offer
For the best value for money pint in town, if you arrive at Stamford Bridge within 50 minutes of gates opening you can take advantage of up to 50% off soft drinks, hot dogs and beer via Vouchercloud
on any smartphone.
Singha beer pint £2.50, hot dog £3 or any Coca-Cola or hot drink only £1 via Vouchercloud
Staff in the away end will be wearing special t-shirts, featuring a well-known chant and legend from Stoke City. Don't hesitate to ask the staff if you would like one of the t-shirts to take home with you.
The majority of Chelsea games are broadcast live on BBC Radio London 94.9.