THE Potters welcome Premier League Champions, Manchester United to the Britannia Stadium for tonight’s Capital One Cup Quarter Final clash (kick-off 7:45pm).
It will be the second time the sides have met this season after City narrowly suffered league defeat at Old Trafford back in late October.
A place in the Semi-Finals is at stake for the winner as we take a look at the facts and figures which separate the two Clubs in the League Cup.
- Manchester United have lifted the League Cup on four occasions (1991/92, 2005/06, 2008/09, 2009/10)
- The Potters meanwhile famously lifted the League Cup under Club great, Tony Waddington (1971/72)
LEAGUE CUP HEAD-TO-HEAD:
- The Potters hold an advantage in terms of League Cup action, having beaten United twice in five Cup meetings between the sides.
- The two sides met no fewer than seven times in League, FA Cup and League Cup action during Stoke’s famous 1971/72 League Cup campaign.
The League Cup tie went to two replays when the sides couldn't be separated, before the Potters earned victory with a 2-1 win at the third time of asking in November 1971.
Games Played: 5 Stoke Wins: 2 Drew: 2 Man United Wins: 1
LAST TIME IN THE LEAGUE CUP:
- The last League Cup clash between the Club’s was a two-legged affair in Round 2 during the 1993/94 season, when United progressed to Round 3 thanks to their one and only League Cup win over Stoke.
The Potters went out as United went through 3-2 on aggregate, despite Stoke beating the Reds in the first leg at the Victoria Ground.
22nd September 1993 | League Cup Round 2, First-Leg: Victoria Ground
Stoke City 2 (Mark Stein 2 goals)
Manchester United 1 (Dion Dublin)
6th October 1993 | League Cup Round 2, Second-Leg: Old Trafford
Manchester United 2 (Lee Sharpe, Brian McClair)
Stoke City 0
ROUTE TO THE 2013/14 LEAGUE CUP QUARTER FINALS:
Aug 2013, Round 2: Stoke 3-1 Walsall
Sep 2013, Round 3: Tranmere 0-2 Stoke
Oct 2013, Round 4: Birmingham 4-4 (aet) Stoke (Stoke win 4-2 on penalties)
Sep 2013, Round 3: United 1-0 Liverpool
Oct 2013, Round 4: United 4-0 Norwich
- Potters striker Kenwyne Jones and United forward Javier Hernandez are currently joint third top goal scorers in the Capital One Cup, having both scored three goals each.
- United are yet to concede a goal in this season's competition.
- Stoke boss Mark Hughes was in the Reds side the last time the Potters beat Manchester United in any competition in the League Cup clash in 1993.
- A total of 255 goals had been scored in this season's Capital One Cup before the Quarter-Finals.