RYAN SHAWCROSS spoke exclusively to Stoke City Player following England's comfortable 5-0 World Cup Qualifying victory against San Marino on Friday evening . . . and revealed his delight at registering the three points.
The Buckley-born 25-year old had been hoping to step on to the field and become the first Stoke player to represent the Three Lions in almost 28 years, however, he was forced to wait for that accolade after remaining an unused substitute throughout the encounter.
Whilst admitting that he would have loved to have made his England bow in front of a packed out Wembley Stadium, he says the biggest priority was always the team picking up the victory against the European minnows.
"Obviously I would have loved to have played in the game and picked up my cap, but it was vital to get the win tonight and keep our qualifying campaign on track," he exclusively told Stoke City Player.
"It was a game a lot of people expected us to win and we knew that they would try to frustrate us. Thankfully our quality shone through in the end and we recorded the victory we needed.
"We have a day off now before coming back to go away to Poland on Sunday. That will be a tough game for us, but we will go there with confidence."
He added: "It's been a good week, and I've thoroughly enjoyed being back amongst it all again. The lads have been great with me and I have trained hard, and will continue to do so.
"It would be nice to feature in some capacity in Poland, but we will see what happens."
To watch the full interview with Shawcross then click HERE
(This is available exclusively to Stoke City Player subscribers)