Skip to main content

Stoke Suffer In The Storm


22:16 26th July 2014

Potters beaten 2-0 in wet and windy conditions in southern Germany

1860 MUNICH 2 (Adlung 26, Wood 51)

STOKE CITY’S second pre-season friendly in southern Germany ended in disappointment on Saturday evening as the side succumbed to a 2-0 defeat against TSV 1860 Munich.

The Potters, who handed a debut to new signing Bojan, struggled to adapt to the warm and wet conditions in Reit im Winkl as the 2.Bundesliga outfit deservedly claimed the scalp of their Premier League opponents.

The outcome of the clash could have been so different however, had Mame Biram Diouf’s strike not been ruled out for offside just 30 seconds in or had Bojan managed to hit the target after superbly bursting through on goal.

The Germans are a good two weeks ahead of Mark Hughes’ side in terms of their preparations for the new season and the was evident for large parts of the encounter.

For all of their additional fitness it took a moment of magic from winger Daniel Aglung to break the deadlock midway through the first half as he let rip a thunderous effort from 25-yards that left Thomas Sorensen helpless and nestled into the top corner of the net.

Hawaiian-born Bobby Wood was a constant menace to the City rear-guard, and he twice went close to doubling Munich’s advantage.

Firstly, the American international dragged a long-range effort just wide of the post, before hammering inches wide from close range, with Sorensen doing superbly well to put him under pressure at the post.

Austrian international Marko Arnautovic did his best to try and draw the Potters level, but unfortunately his 30-yard free-kick was tipped around the post by former Crystal Palace stopper Gabor Kiraly.

The half-time interval brought with it ten changes to the City line-up with only Phil Bardsley remaining on the field, after he was introduced shortly before the break at the expense of the struggling Andy Wilkinson.

Those drastic changes could arguably be used as a slight excuse for the manner in which the Lions were able to double their advantage six minutes after the half-time interval when Wood stole a march on the defenders and hammered home unchallenged from 9-yards.

That effort came just 90 seconds after Steven Nzonzi should have levelled for Stoke, but was unable to tuck the ball home from close range, with both he and Peter Crouch opting to leave the ball for each other inside the 6-yard box.

Some neat interchange between Charlie Adam and Steve Sidwell almost culminated in the latter racing through on goal, before a last ditch challenge from a Munich defender thwarted the lively Brek Shea, who was trying to pick out Jonathan Walters.

Daniel Bachmann , who was making his first appearance for the first team, had to be alert to block Wood’s stinging effort as the game drew towards its climax, whilst at the other end Sidwell brought the best of of Kiraly with a 20-yard strike.

Stoke City (First Half): Sorensen; Wilkinson (Bardsley 34), Shawcross (c), Wilson, Muniesa; Shotton, Whelan, Bojan, Ireland, Arnautovic; Diouf.

Stoke City (Second Half): Bachmann; Bardsley (Ness 65), Huth, Teixeira, Pieters; Walters, Sidwell, Nzonzi, Adam, Shea; Crouch.

    Related Articles