Skip to main content

Supporters Council Meeting Minutes

A Stoke City Supporters Council meeting in progress

Image by: Phil Greig

PUBLISHED

10:10 24th December 2013

Minutes of the meeting held on Saturday 23rd November 2013

Date: 14th September 2013
Venue: Britannia Stadium, Gordon Banks Suite
Attendees:

Supporters Council Representatives:- Angela Smith (Chair) Malcolm Clarke (Vice Chair), Alan Clarke, Bryan Shaw, David Harper, John Slaney, Julia Milton, Julia Zuk, Mark Mills, Marie Mansell, Richard Bestwick, Richard Lowe, Rob Doe, Tracey Van De Laarschot, Wayne Harrison, Regina Colcough, Per Arstad

Representatives of the Club:- Tony Scholes - Chief Executive, Adrian Hurst - Head of Community, Steve Buxton - PR Consultant, Margaret Stringer - P.A. to Tony Scholes, Nick Robinson - Stadium Manager

1 - Apologies:- Ed Hyde, Gareth Ekin

2 - Minutes:- The minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

3 - ACV:- Following the "off site" meeting various members of the council attended it was felt that there was not much interest in taking the application for the Club to become an ACV any further.

David Harper stated that he feels that no one feels that it should be passed. Malcolm Clarke said that he felt the debate on the Oatcake was a good thing, if there is a proposal to sell the Club then supporters should be notified (mo such proposal is planned). MC did inform the council that he had discussed it with the Chairman Mr. Coates and his reply was as Tony Scholes predicted.

Angela asked for a show of hands as to whether the Council should proceed or debate the matter further. The Council voted unanimously No! Do not proceed.

4 - Membership & Match Tickets:- Malcolm reported back from the ticketing sub-group meeting. Purchasing tickets on-line is becoming more difficult, particularly when buying tickets for someone else is sometimes impossible, you need DOB etc. not always known.

- Away tickets - those that purchase but first don’t always get the best seats.

- The sub-group believed that ticket priority should be based on loyalty, not purchasing a membership.

5 - Mascot Matchday Experience:- Regina reported that she had received feedback that the mascot experience had diminished - they don’t get to meet the players until they walk out, used to get a three course meal now pizza and chips, in the past it has been free.

Steve Buxton assured the council that they do get their pictures taken with the players and also there is a competition run via the City 7s for a free place as a mascot.

6 - Non-Attendance of Council Members:- It has been noted by members of the Council that some members have yet to attend a meeting or have only attended one or two. It was agreed that if a members misses two meetings in a row they should forfeit their position, if they are unable to offer an explanation at the next meeting.

7 - Tottenham Date Change:- TS informed the Council on the full background to the change of date and specifically the timing of the announcement.

On behalf of the Council AS said that she did not believe that the Club’s offer of free coach travel went far enough and that the Club should reimburse all supporters who had incurred extra travel costs.

After some discussion, TS agreed that the Club would do this.

8 - Delilah's Bar:- Nick Robinson (Facilities) joined the meeting to discuss the refurbishment proposals for Delilah’s Bar. 

The downstairs area has been painted and the remainder will be addressed over the coming weeks.  All of the pictures in there need to be removed and Nick asked for the Council’s help in identifying who they belonged to, and to ask them to contact the Club to agree what would happen to them once the refurbishment was complete.

Nick asked for the Council to be involved in what the new bar should look like – a sub group to be established. 

9 - Ryan Shawcross Tweet:- Angela said that it is the opinion of the fans that the tweet etc. and the coverage in the press in general regarding Ryan and the Aron Ramsey incident are very unfair.

TS explained that the Club has formally complained to Arsenal in very strong terms about the comments made by Arsene Wenger in the period after the incident.  In addition, where it has been appropriate the Club also complain to the media if their reporting is inappropriate or plain wrong.

10 - TVs in the Concourse:- A request to have larger TVs installed in the concourses was submitted, Nick to investigate.

11 - Cash Points:- It was asked if a cash point could be installed at the Stadium, Tony said he would enquire if it was possible; however the previous cash point was removed due to the lack of use.

12 -  CEO Award:- Angela congratulated Tony Scholes on being voted Premier League CEO of the year; it is a special award as it is voted by the other CEOs of the PL. Tony thanked Angela and said it was very good recognition for the Club.

13 - Traffic Control:- The issue of leaving the South car park on a match day was raised, the car parks further away from the Club appear to take priority (non Club).  Angela will e-mail AH to outline the points being raised. However, those using the coaches reported that the new traffic system was working very well for them and is much improved.

14 - Complains regarding Stock in the shop:- The lack of stock offered in the shop in general was raised but it was felt that it needed to be more fashionable, more items for ladies, in more sizes, and possibly a wider variety, items for babies in pink and blue (not just red and white). The Club acknowledged that there had been an issue with suppliers specifically adidas. The club were doing all things possible to address the issue.

15 - Norwegian Supporters:- Per thanked everyone for attending the event they held in Delilah's Bar and helping to make it a success.

16 - Date of Next Meeting:- Liverpool, Saturday 11th January 2014

    Related Articles