addarrow-downarrow-leftarrow-uparrow-whiteArtboard 33back-to_ball-blueball-redball-whiteArtboard 10Artboard 10Artboard 10blockcameraArtboard 1 copy 4Artboard 1 copy 4Artboard 28checkclose-blackclose-whiteclosecornerdownloaddropdown-bluedropdown-whiteextra timefacebookfilefirst-arrow-bluefirst-arrow-redfree-cornerfreekickfull timegoal dissallowedgoal-headedPlayer1goal-othergoal-right-footgoalhalf timeinjuryinstagramkick offleft-arrow-blueleft-arrow-buttonlineupslive-flashinglive-scoresload-moreArtboard 13 copyArtboard 13 copy 2loginmenumin-by-minmissArtboard 12Artboard 12Artboard 12offisideArtboard 12penalty awardedpen missedpen scoredpen scoredArtboard 1 copy 3Artboard 1 copy 3play-videoquote-bottomquote-topred-cardreport-bluereport-redright-arrow-blackright-arrow-blueright-arrow-whiteright-arrowsavesearchsecond-yellowArtboard 9Artboard 9Artboard 13Artboard 13Artboard 13speakerspeech-bubbles-bluespeech-bubbles-redArtboard 11Artboard 11Artboard 11opta-pitchsubstitutiontableswansea iconstimer-bluetimer-redtwitter-bluetwitterArtboard 29woodworkyellow-card

OFFICIAL club website of stoke city

Potters Youngsters Progress

Stoke City 2 (Lecygne 90, Weston-Hayles 105)
Leyton Orient 2 (Uzun 84, Kashket 91)
Stoke City win 5-4 on penalties
STOKE CITY'S youngsters progressed to the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup on Monday evening after a nervy game against Leyton Orient at the Weaver Stadium.

After the tie had finished 2-2 after extra-time it took a penalty shootout to separate the two sides with Ryan Shields stepping up to take City's winning spot-kick.

The Potters were made to work hard for their triumph and had to come from behind twice on the night in an entertaining fixture.

After an even start to proceedings it was the Potters who went narrowly close to taking the lead on 11 minutes. An under hit back pass by Scott Kashket released Derice Richards in on goal but the striker fired just wide of the far post.

Stoke's Hungarian 'keeper Daniel Gyollai had to be at his best minutes later when he denied Montel Agyemang from point-blank range before some last-ditch defending stopped Andy Edwards' team from taking the lead through lively duo Kashket and Josh Uzun.

Eddy Lecygne forced Charlie Grainger into a smart save with a 25-yard free-kick midway through the half before the hosts were denied by the assistant referee on the stroke of half time when he flagged Richards offside as the Nantwich born forward raced clear.

Orient started the brighter of the two teams after the interval and had good chances through Jack Humphrey and Kashket but they failed to convert from just outside the area.

The visitors went even closer on 50 minutes through Kashket but the attacker fired a tame shot into the arms of Gyollai when well placed, before substitute Nick Brown fired just wide after good approach play deep inside the Stoke half.

Shields was introduced to the action with fifteen minutes remaining and almost laid on the opener for the Potters. Richards released the winger down the right and his cross to the far post was headed straight at Grainger by Joel Taylor.

The visitors went mightily close to taking the lead in the 84th minute when they saw a shot cleared off the line, but seconds later the ball was worked back into the box and Curtis Strong was adjudged to have brought down Sinclaire Sandy by the referee who pointed to the spot and Uzun coolly despatched from 12 yards.

John Perkins threw on Charles Weston-Hayles in search on an equaliser and the pacey striker had a huge hand in levelling matters in the 90 minute. His mazy run into the box was halted by the outstretched leg of Alex Finney and it left the referee with no option but to award a penalty which Lecygne fired into the bottom corner.

No winner could be found in additional time but a healthy crowd in Nantwich didn't have to wait much longer for another goal. A minute into the first period of extra-time, Shola Oladipo played in Kashket who finished superbly into the far corner from an acute angle.

City pushed and probed for another leveller and found it a minute before the interval when Richards' ball over the top released Weston-Hayles and the striker steadied himself before expertly firing past Grainger.

The Potters had a hatful of chances to clinch the victory in the remaining 15 minutes when they laid siege to the Orient goal. Johnville Rene-Pringle had an effort cleared of the line from a corner, before strong appeals for a penalty were waved away after Weston-Hayles went down inside the box. 

Richards had one last chance for City with five minutes left on the clock but he saw his 25-yard effort rattle the crossbar and bounce away to safety as the game went to a penalty shootout.

After both teams had missed one of their opening five penalties, the tie went to sudden death and when Brown failed from 12 yards it left Shields with the task to send the Potters through to the fourth round which he duly did with a superb penalty under immense pressure. 

Stoke City: Gyollai, Banks, Strong, Lecygne (Rene-Pringle 94), Sanders, Edwards, Shenton (Weston-Hayles 87), Monlouis, Coban (Shields 74), Richards, Taylor. Subs not used: Kurasik, Hulme.

Leyton Orient: Granger (c), Ling, Humphrey, Okimeji, Finney, Nikolaou, Moncur (Oladipo 90), Agyemang (Brown 42), Sandy, Kashket (Owusu 104), Uzun. Subs not used: Adams, Kelly.

Article tags: