Defender reacts to cup exit...
HARRY SOUTTAR admits the manner of Wednesday evening’s elimination from the Checkatrade Trophy has been a bitter pill to swallow.
The Potters U21s side travelled to Gigg Lane in the knowledge that victory would be enough to secure them qualification through to the knockout stages of the competition.
However, their hopes of progression suffered a major blow as the Shakers romped into an early three goal lead, leaving Glyn Hodges’ men with far too much to do on the night.
Speaking to stokecityfc.com following the encounter, the highly-rated defender said: “We obviously had to win it to go through and we all thought we had a really good chance.
“So for us to concede three goals in the way that we did, so early on in the game, was really disappointing - they didn’t have to work hard for the goals to be fair.
“The first goal was a good strike from their lad, but even that one, we gave the ball away - they didn’t need to cut us open.
“The last thing we needed was to concede two more goals in such quick succession, because it left us in a really difficult position - it really killed the game off.”
Souttar, who was handed his senior debut by boss Mark Hughes in the Potters Carabao Cup success over Rochdale earlier in the season, was however eager to pinpoint the progression the group have made in the competition this term.
“One positive is that we performed a lot better than we did last season,” he added.
“In the competition last year going into the final game, we weren’t really contesting, it was just about trying to end the group stage on a high.
“But this time we had a real chance of qualification, so we have to use that as a positive and look to do even better next season - that is what was said in the dressing room after the match.”