arrow-downarrow-leftarrow-uparrow-whiteArtboard 33back-to_ball-blueball-redball-whiteArtboard 10Artboard 10Artboard 10blockcameraArtboard 1 copy 4Artboard 1 copy 4Artboard 28close-blackclose-whiteclosecornerdownloaddropdown-bluedropdown-whiteextra timefacebookfilefree-cornerfreekickfull timegoal dissallowedgoal-headedPlayer1goal-othergoal-right-footgoalhalf timeinjuryinstagramkick offleft-arrow-blueleft-arrow-buttonlineupslive-flashinglive-scoresload-moreArtboard 13 copyArtboard 13 copy 2loginmenumin-by-minmissArtboard 12Artboard 12Artboard 12offisidepenalty awardedpen missedpen scoredpen scoredArtboard 1 copy 3Artboard 1 copy 3play-videoquote-bottomquote-topred-cardreport-bluereport-redright-arrow-blackright-arrow-blueright-arrow-whiteright-arrowsavesearchsecond-yellowArtboard 9Artboard 9Artboard 13Artboard 13Artboard 13speakerspeech-bubbles-bluespeech-bubbles-redArtboard 11Artboard 11Artboard 11opta-pitchsubstitutiontableswansea iconstimer-bluetimer-redtwitter-bluetwitterArtboard 29woodworkyellow-card

OFFICIAL club website of stoke city

Under-18s Fall To Unfortunate Last Minute Defeat

Manchester United Under-18s 3 (Rashford 2, Brothwick-Jackson 36, Scott 89)
Stoke City Under-18s 2 (Makrillos 55, Edwards 74)

STOKE CITY'S Under-18s slipped to a massively undeserved 3-2 defeat against Manchester United in glorious sunshine on Tuesday afternoon.

After falling two nil behind before the break the young Potters came out all guns blazing in the second period and rightfully pulled the game level through Peter Makrillos and Liam Edwards efforts.

However, with time ticking towards full time and after City were denied a penalty despite the assistant referee flagging for a foul on Tomi Adeloye, United stole all three points at the death through right-back Charlie Scott.

The home side were quickest of the blocks at their Carrington training ground and went ahead within the opening two minutes when City 'keeper Dominic Kurasik let Marcus Rashford's free-kick slip through his gloves and trickle a yard over the line.

Although United went close to adding a second moments later through Devonte Redmond, City then went on to control much of the remainder of the game as Yusuf Coban and Adeloye both had good opportunites to pull the game level before Makrillos saw an effort well saved by George Dorrington in the Red Devils goal.

The Australian midfielder then curled wide from just inside the area after a mazy run, before United added to their lead with a rare attack forward as Kurasik spilled Mitchell's right-wing cross into the path of Cameron Borthwick-Jackson who tapped in from close range.

Despite that goal it was City who remained on top and Lee Pickerill's cross from the left took a deflection off an outstretched defender and clipped the top of the crossbar.

Johnville Renee-Pringle was next to try his luck for the visitors and after bringing the ball down expertly with his chest, he drove forward and unleashed a powerful shot which flew just wide moments before the interval.

City continued their dominance after the break and eventually got a goal their play deserved when the ball was played into Makrillos who weaved his way to the edge-of-the-area and curled an effort into the far corner.

John Perkins' side, which included seven first-year scholars, then went close through Coban but the German forward saw a superb effort from an acute angle tipped over by Dorrington.

Adeloye then saw an effort fly just wide after a surging run forward, before Makrillos was denied by another stop from Dorrington who flicked his effort around the post.

However, the Potters finally made their dominance count when Makrillos' deep free-kick was headed back across goal by Edwards into the far corner for the defender's first goal of the season.

Stoke were intent on trying to find the winner with 16 minutes remaining and were denied a spot-kick shortly after their equaliser when Tomi Adeloye was brought down inside the box, but despite the assistant referee signalling for a foul the man in the middle emphatically waved it away.

The injustice felt by City was to be compounded in the final minute of normal time when Joe Riley's right-wing corner was flicked towards Scott at the near post and after tacking a wicked deflection off a defender it flew into the net.

There was still one last chance for the visitors to claim a point in the dying moments of additional time but Lewis Banks' cross was headed just off target by Adeloye lurking at the far post.

Manchester United: Dorrington, Scott, Borthwick-Jackson, Williams, Tuanzebe, Thompson, Reily, Redmond (Kehinde 45), Croskery, Rashford (Dearnley 49), Mitchell. Unused: Henderson, Rathbone, Reid.

Stoke City: Kurasik, Banks, Sanders, Edwards, Pickerill, Roberts, Renee-Pringle, Makrillos, Coban, Adeloye, Richards (Weston-Hayles 75). Unused: Vassell, Brierley, Douglas, Shepherd.  

Article tags: