Haven't We Met Before? - Nottingham Forest

Wayne Thomas

STOKE CITY make the trip along the A50 to face Nottingham Forest this weekend, with the Potters looking for their first win at the City Ground since 1993. 

Ahead of the clash in the East Midlands, Conor Shaw takes a look at a few previous meetings between the two clubs.

4th October 2003: Stoke City 2-1 Nottingham Forest

Tony Pulis’ men returned to the Britannia Stadium searching for their first win in three attempts, and accomplished a morale boosting victory over Forest with two well-taken first half strikes. 

With just seven minutes on the clock the Potters took the lead. Wayne Thomas made a run towards the back post and remained unopposed in the area after getting the better of now Leicester City captain Wes Morgan to head his third goal of the season from Kris Commons' corner. 

Tension mounted following the opening goal, but referee Neale Barry kept his cards in his pocket. Morgan required treatment following an apparent head wound sustained during a touchline spat with Potters forward Carl Asaba and returned to the field of play following over ten minutes on the sidelines. 

Spurred on by substantial pressure from the visitors, City rallied forward and netted their second of encounter before the break. On the counter charge, Clive Clarke sailed along the left flank before sending a cross into Asaba who headed past helpless Forest keeper Darren Ward. 

However, the Potters were deprived of their first clean sheet since August, as Ed de Goey was unable to prevent a close-range consolation strike from Gareth Williams, scored with the penultimate kick of the game.

19th September 1993: Nottingham Forest 2-3 Stoke City

Over 3,000 Potters supporters packed out the Bridgford End at the City Ground in September 1993 despite ITV broadcasting their first ever match on the channel.

City opened the scoring in the East Midlands after the Mark Stein and Dave Regis partnership paid dividends. A flicked ball between the Forest backline from Stein allowed Regis to brush off his man, and coolly roll his strike beyond Mark Crossley.

Less than ten minutes later and the Potters were bestowed with the opportunity of doubling their advantage. Micky Gynn was hauled down in the area, and referee Ken Lupton pointed to the penalty spot. Up stepped Stein, who confidently placed his spot kick straight down the middle despite Crossley’s best efforts.

But, the pick of the strikes was yet to come. A quick one-two between Gynn and Orlygsson eventually found Stein. The striker found space on the edge of area and struck an outstanding volley which Crossley could not have done anything about.

A pair of consolation strikes for Frank Clark’s men courtesy of Dave Phillips and former England captain Stuart Pearce merely reduced the deficit in the East Midlands, and Macari’s men took all three points back to the Potteries.

16th March 1983: Stoke City 1-0 Nottingham Forest

After a heavy defeat at Liverpool and a home loss to West Ham United, the Potters returned to the Victoria Ground looking to right the wrongs of recent weeks but were faced with a tough test.

Brian Clough’s men continued to challenge at the top end of the table and proved tough to break down throughout the first half. 

Referee Alan Robinson took all the headlines following a much-scrutinised display which saw him suspended by the Football League. Sammy McIlroy saw his strike ruled out after Robinson gave a penalty for an earlier foul, which the former Manchester United man then sliced over the crossbar.

Moments later and the Potters were denied yet again following a poor refereeing decision. Brendan O’Callaghan had his header ruled out for being adjudged to have fouled a defender in the box, despite being in acres of space.

With just over 20 minutes remaining of the encounter though, the hosts got what they deserved when Mickey Thomas poked home the winner after Steve Sutton parried Paul Bracewell’s strike into space.

Article tags:

First TeamTeamHistory