Magpies Comeback Stuns Youngsters

Daniel Jarvis

STOKE CITY'S four match unbeaten run in Premier League 2 came to an end tonight at the bet365 Stadium after they lost 3-2 to Newcastle United, writes Matty Perry.

Kevin Russell’s men led 2-0 at the break thanks to goals from Gabriel Kyeremateng and Daniel Jarvis, alongside an outstanding penalty save from Nathan Broome, but the visitors struck back in the second half to claim all three points.

The travelling side managed to level the scoreline midway through the second period, and scored the winner 10 minutes from time, sealing the unexpected comeback for Ben Dawson's outfit.

Despite the cold weather on the night, the Potters' youngsters enjoyed a bright start to the game after scoring inside the first quarter of an hour. Oliver Shenton picked up the ball in the middle of the park and lofted a delightful chip over the Newcastle defence towards Kyeremateng, who dinked the ball over the keeper and into the net.

It looked as if the visitors were going to respond immediately when they were awarded a penalty minutes later, after Mo Sangare was brought down inside the area. However, City's number one, Broome, who was impressive throughout the night, dived down low to palm away Owen Bailey’s spot kick to keep the Potters' lead intact.

And that lead quickly doubled through Jarvis. He had provider Jacob Twyford to thank as he split open the United defence and calmly played Jarvis through on goal, who tapped the ball past Nathan Harker with ease.

That concluded a deserved lead and first period for City, however, Magpies captain, Bailey, sparked an unexpected comeback in the second period.

Just past the hour mark, the Magpies made their way down the left-hand side of the pitch and swung a ball in which was met by the head of Bailey, who guided his header into the corner of the net.

Three minutes later, United levelled things up. This time, substitute Yannick Toure provided some flashy trickery down the left flank before cutting inside and curling his effort into the far corner and beyond Broome.

It was quite a contested game after that, with City's youngsters trying to regain their grip of the game. However, that was not the case, as Bailey went onto bag his second headed goal of the night. Matthew Longstaff whipped in a corner which fell directly to Bailey, and he slotted his header home to seal the points.

The Potters tried their upmost to claim a comeback of their own in the dying moments of the match, but their efforts did not come to fruition. Therefore, the result leaves Russell’s men in seventh place and three points behind Manchester United, who are in sixth in the Premier League 2 table.

Stoke City: Broome, Niakate, Trialist (Macari 74), Wara, Coates, Dunwoody, Shenton, Twyford, Jarvis, Pemberton, Kyeremateng (Varian 85). Unused: Gyollai, Jarrett, Porter.