addarrow-downarrow-leftarrow-uparrow-whiteArtboard 33back-to_ball-blueball-redball-whiteArtboard 10Artboard 10Artboard 10blockcameraArtboard 1 copy 4Artboard 1 copy 4Artboard 28checkclose-blackclose-whiteclosecornerdownloaddropdown-bluedropdown-whiteextra timefacebookfilefirst-arrow-bluefirst-arrow-redfree-cornerfreekickfull timegoal dissallowedgoal-headedPlayer1goal-othergoal-right-footgoalhalf timeinjuryinstagramkick offleft-arrow-blueleft-arrow-buttonlineupslive-flashinglive-scoresload-moreArtboard 13 copyArtboard 13 copy 2loginmenumin-by-minmissArtboard 12Artboard 12Artboard 12offisideArtboard 12penalty awardedpen missedpen scoredpen scoredArtboard 1 copy 3Artboard 1 copy 3play-videoquote-bottomquote-topred-cardreport-bluereport-redright-arrow-blackright-arrow-blueright-arrow-whiteright-arrowsavesearchsecond-yellowArtboard 9Artboard 9Artboard 13Artboard 13Artboard 13speakerspeech-bubbles-bluespeech-bubbles-redArtboard 11Artboard 11Artboard 11opta-pitchsubstitutiontableswansea iconstimer-bluetimer-redtwitter-bluetwitterArtboard 29woodworkyellow-card

OFFICIAL club website of stoke city

U23s Beat Liverpool In Cup Thriller

Oliver Shenton

FOUR well taken strikes fired Stoke City U23s to the top of Group G in the Premier League Cup, with a 4-3 victory over Liverpool.

Julien Ngoy, Tyrese Campbell, Oliver Shenton and Daniel Jarvis netted for the Potters, against a strong Reds side flying at the top of Premier League 2.

Glyn Hodges made two changes to the team who lost 3-2 to Reading last time out, with Tom Edwards and Jake Dunwoody replacing James Butler and Thibaud Verlinden.

The Potters raced into an early lead courtesy of Belgian U21 international Ngoy. After Caoimhin Kelleher palmed away a strike from Campbell, the 20-year old pounced on the ball in the area, and sent a rasping effort beyond the keeper.

Liverpool soon found themselves back in contention, however. Harry Wilson lofted an inch perfect corner towards the far post, and Lloyd Jones was on hand to nod past Daniel Gyollai.

In a first half of few chances, Hodges’ side fired themselves in front with a great strike from Campbell. A defensive error allowed Shenton to feed the ball through to the 17-year old, who slotted his strike perfectly beyond Kelleher.

Six minutes before the interval and the visitors added a third after a brilliant strike from Shenton. An impressive passing move from the Potters was rounded off by Jarvis’ lay off to his midfield partner, who shaped up to shoot on the edge of the box, and sent a superb strike into the top corner.

Liverpool tested the resilience of City’s backline leading into the break, but Gyollai was on hand to make a string of stops to deny U17 World Cup top scorer Rhian Brewster, before the Hungarian keeper did well to hold a weighted strike from Herbie Kane.

Ten minutes into the second half, and the Reds pulled a goal back when Brewster was bundled to the ground in the box, and referee Karl Evans pointed straight to the penalty spot. Welsh-international Harry Wilson had his effort saved by Gyollai, but Danny Ings netted the rebound, catching the Potters keeper in the process.

Despite that effort, City began to look in control, and Jarvis netted the visitors’ fourth of the game with 20 minutes left on the clock. Ngoy did all the hard work on the edge of the 18-yard box, and had his strike deflected into the path of the 19-year old, who took a touch before firing low into the far corner.

Neil Critchley’s side netted a third in the final minute after they were awarded yet another penalty. Ings took on this occasion, and fired through the middle beyond substitute keeper Mitchell Allen.

Stoke City: Gyollai (Allen 66), Edwards, Tymon, Sorensen, Souttar, Banks, Dunwoody (Hill 66), Shenton, Campbell, Jarvis, Ngoy (Ayoola 89). Unused: McJannett, Butler.